- What a game from Torres today. It might have been his best all around performance in a Chelsea shirt. He missed an absolute sitter early in the first half but did not get discouraged. Instead he left Clichy for dead with a burst of speed that I thought he had lost before crossing for Andre Schurrle to tap in to put Chelsea ahead. Then he had a fantastic shot rebound of the the crossbar/post with Hart well beaten. Then after both teams had settled for a draw, Torres capitalized on a mistake by Hart to show his speed again and score the winner. In addition he was involved in almost every good Chelsea move today.
- The win extends Mourinho’s fantastic record in big games. Since he left Porto in 2002, Mourinho has now played 45 games against title rivals in England, Italy and Spain. His record in those games is a remarkable Played: 45. Won: 26. Drawn: 13. Lost: 6. Goals for: 69. Against: 33
- Except for a 15-20 minute at the start of the second half Chelsea were on command of the game. Ramires and Lampard did a good job shutting down Toure, Silva and Nasri while Oscar and Schurrle played well supporting Torres. The only disappointment was the play of Hazard who I thought was non-existent for much of the game.
- Thought that Branislav Ivanovic was terrific today, not only in helping to shut down Silva and Torres but that he also did a good job getting forward to help Chelsea in attack.
- I still think that Mourinho is still getting to know his team and the players, but to end October in second place is really encouraging. I don’t think that Arsenal can keep up their run of form, and Chelsea are now 4 points ahead of Man City and six points ahead of United who I think are the main title rivals.
What did you think about Chelsea’s win and performance today?